Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Pride

Pride is a funny thing. We are supposed to be humble, but when it comes to our kids, nothing makes a parent more proud then when we see them doing things they are good at(not to mention it justifies all the hours and money spent on the activity lol). Keneisha had the opportunity to compete this weekend at the Gem State Classic. This was ballroom dancing for kids as young as 4 and 5 up to 18 years old. Her outfit was specific. Black skirt (that goes at least to the knees), white shirt, hair pulled up, comfortable shoes she could dance in. Shirt...check. Hair...easy. Shoes...have them already. Black skirt...not a single modest one is Idaho Falls. There were lots that were pencil skirts, but that isn't really conducive to Ballroom style dancing and the flouncy skirts were barely covering her buns. I know that if I had more time I could have found one, but there wasn't enough time for me to search every store. I decided to just make her one. I found the perfect pattern and the perfect fabric. It was black cotton with embroidered black daisies and sequins to give it a little sparkle on the dance floor. Then my week shaped up and it was so hectic. Monday I close at work, Tuesday I had visiting teaching, Wednesday was Love and Logic class in Pocatello, Thursday Olivia sang at Barnes and Noble, Friday Keneisha sang at Barnes and Noble and I close at work. To say the least it looked like those useless hours between 11 pm and 6 am that I waste sleeping were going to be when I was going to get to sew this skirt. I was up until 2 am Friday night sewing (some of the seam allowances are not perfect, but when you are seeing two of them it is hard to tell if there is a 1/4 inch or 3/4 inch rolled up). It all was worth it though when she stepped on the dance floor with her partner, Mickey, and danced her little heart out. It was fabulous. I can't put into words the amazement I felt watching this girl on the dance floor. It wasn't always perfect, but it was her best. You could see that she had practice hard and was working hard to put on the best perfomance she could. I was moved to tears. This is my baby, my beautiful girl that gives 100% at whatever she decides to do, and my tomboy. The one who hates girly things, (she won't even take the pink camo lunch box to school cuz she hates pink that much) will put on the makeup (grudingly mind you) and do her hair (which is out the second we come home) and this skirt (that she only wears on Sunday cuz she has to) and then she places 4th in the Foxtrot and 6th in the Swing. She also performed in the Cha Cha and the Waltz. They were all wonderful. I loved it!!! I love being a mom....especially when the things that weren't in the brochure are so much better than it could have described it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment