Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Running

So I have decided that 1. I weigh too much, 2. I am in desparate need of a goal, 3. my older girls have expressed a need to spend more time with their mom, and 4. I need a partner if I am going to work out and be successful. Thankfully, I think I have found a way to accomplish all of those objectives.

I am going to run a 5K by the end of summer. I would like to run it in about 30 minutes making it about a 10 minute mile. Goal number 2...check! You never see fat runners so I think this will help to accomplish goal number 1...check! I am going to work out with my older daughters and team up with my best friend Heather is going to run the 5K with me. Goal number 3 and 4....check...and...check.

I have downloaded on my Blackberry "Bones in Motion" application for free and it tracks my workout with GPS, counts the calories I have burned, and calculates my average speed. Then it stores it on a handy dandy website that lets me track it online and on my phone. Pretty sweet if you ask me. This handy website is able to tell me how fast I do each mile in relation to my average overall speed. It charts my pace, the elevation of my walk, and the miles I went.

Heather has been a heaven sent blessing. I loved walking with her when we both lived in Shelley. She was the one person I could call at 10:30 at night and say "Hey, do ya wanna go for a walk?" and she would not only answer the phone at that crazy hour, but put on her shoes and come walk with me. She moved to Blackfoot and I moved to I.F. and it was really impossible to make that work anymore. So, I asked her to be my partner again and help keep me motivated. I needed accountability and I knew that Heather was the friend for the job. She has been great at emailing or calling and telling me that she has got her workout in. I don't want to let her down and since you can't just run a 5K overnight, it keeps me honest and on track to hit my run every other night.

I also get to work out with my older daughters. Let me tell ya, these are two pretty special girls. They are so much fun to work with. We push each other to make it to the next stop sign, or street lamp, or mailbox. We are not a lot of pressure either tho...if you need to slow down, then say something and we will slow down together. Of course, they run circles around me, but it has been great to get out, be with them without my little ones demanding my attention. I love them and I hope they will know that I really do want to be with them. This is one way I am able to do that right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment