Monday, March 23, 2009

How to make a boy fit in with 4 girls

This blanket is one I made especially for Asche. He gets to room with 2 girls so I was trying to think of something that would be really boy, really baby, and still work with 2 girls, one older and one younger. He was going to go in with Keneisha (the horse fan) and Brennady originally. We have since changed around the room arrangements but he will still be in with 2 girls eventually. I wanted to do pink and brown and blue and brown since that is so in style right now. The cowboy blanket was a perfect fit for everyone. I could make his all baby, blue, brown, and definitely boy and still make the girls' all girl and pink and brown and everything would go together.

This Pic is the horseshoe that I quilted in the blanket instead of doing boring straight lines to hold it all together.
The backing is flannel and so soft. I sashed it in dark navy blue flannel. The squares are all random fabrics. I think I counted 21 different fabrics for this. My mom did the appliques and embroideries (this was before I owned one of those kinds of toys hehe).



The front: The middle is all the cute mis-matched squares then the sashing is in the softest minkee like fabric that has little stars pressed into it (you can see a little of the fabric in the pic above and if you look close you can see the stars there too). Then I picked a square for the corners and edged it in decorator cording (like the stuff you put on draperies) so it would look like rope around the edge. I love it. Honestly it is my favorite quilt I have ever made.
The girls' quilt is really similar (and not finished since I didn't get them done before the baby, but I will finish them, in time.) Their quilts have pink in them and most of the same squares you see here. I am backing theirs in a fleece so I can use a thinner batting, if any, so it will be more comfy for them to use but still warm.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you it has been a fantastic guide, now to make a boy fit in with 4 girls is without a doubt easy utilizing your advice. Thanks

    ReplyDelete