Saturday, May 23, 2009

Painting fiasco

We have made the exciting decision that it is time for us to move. We need a bigger house. 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, 5 girls, and 2 boys = grown out of our space. In order to be ready to move however we have some deferred maintenence we need to catch up on. Project one: Paint. This 5 letter word doesn't seem like it would be much. It only takes up a little room on the page. The theory behind it is simple. Go pick the color, tell the guy behind the counter to mix it up, bring it home and apply it to the walls.

THIS IS A LIE! PAINT IS WAY MORE WORK THAN THAT! First you have to argue for at least 20 minutes in Lowe's (in front of some poor blue jacket wearing sap that really just wants you to make a freaking decision because he really just wants you to go away so he can go outside for a smoke) about which shade of brown you think is appropriate to be putting on the walls. Did you know there is about 400,000 shades of brown? Some are more green, some more orange, others red. So, we have the argument with Nataushia and Keneisha just dying that we are fighting in a public and settle on Balsam Beige. This is not too dark, not too light. We ask the guy to mix this up. 2 gallons should be enough to do the rooms.

Ready, set, paint. Whistle blows in the backgroung. Ref calls a flag on the play. False start. 10 yard penalty. First you have to clear everything out of the room. Did you think so much stuff could be stuffed into one little room.


I can't believe they have this much junk. They need to get rid of half of that! Now that we have emptied the room of it's contents it is time to paint right? Wrong!! You have to tape it off. Every square inch you don't to have painted must be covered up with tape. This takes about and hour when you are working fast. When you have a 6 year old, 4 year old, and a 9 month old this process is extended to about 2 hours. It really isn't the taping that takes forever it is the interuptions that take forever. It sounds a little like this: The 6 year old is hungry. Can you please get me something to eat Mommy? Yeah me too Mom says teh 4 year old. Sure I would love to get you something, what do you want. I want a peice of cheese, a BIG one please. Ok, sure, simple enough. Slice the cheese, two happy people. Back to taping. Ah Wahhhhh! guess who else is hungry. Fix the bottle and ask the 6 year old to feed him. (one perk of having older kids). Back to taping. Mom, I think Asche is poopy, I don't want to feed him anymore, he stinks. OK, just sec, let me finish this wall and I will change him. Baby changed. Please quit fighting over the Halloween clothes. Yes it is fine, Keneisha if they dress up.

I eventually got the taping done. The little two girls wanted to help, so I armed them with a little paint can and a brush and told them they could do no wrong in the closet, please just stay in the tape lines. They did a good job, minimal drips, and I think I lost square footage in the closet, but they had a great time. Brennady moved on to dress up and wore the witch outfit the rest of the day, even to Wal-mart and Broulims. Ken told people she had just dressed up to look like me. ha ha very funny.

The painting starts next. This is arm breaking labor. It took two coats to completely cover up the yellow paint that I had on the wall before. But overall it looks pretty good. I am excited about it being done. I still have to put one more coat on the older girls' walls but I will get that done tomorrow. I will post the pictures tomorrow, that is if my arms work anymore. (Does anyone know where the icy hot is?)

1 comment:

  1. Ok... I had to come start my comment before I have even finished reading your post. I'm afraid if I continue I will forget what I wanted to say!

    1) You were at that out grown stage when you moved into the house in the first place.

    2) Painting - yep, been there done that. I did have it easier though. We painted when we moved in, so I didn't have to worry about resell value. I could use color rather than worrying about keeping it neutral. Also, I had no one to argue with. No kids at the time, and Don didn't care.

    3) If you think the clutter is bad from moving stuff around when you paint the walls, try doing the floors!

    4) Taping sucks big time! So much so, I don't want to discuss it.

    5) Great idea letting the little ones help in the closet. I bet they had a great time.

    Wonderful adventure! I look forward to reading/seeing more!

    ReplyDelete